Wednesday, February 10, 2010

If i use poison pellets for killing mice, do they just end up rotting somewhere in my house?

I remodeled a room in a 30-year old house and gutted the walls. I found at least a dozen mouse skeletons in the insulation. When we moved there, we spotted poison pellet boxes hidden in different areas around the house, so I suspect these mice ate the poison and died in the walls.





I still use poison in my detached garage and shop as a first line of defense. When the weather gets cold I start to see a lot of dead mice out in the open on the floor. They are not shrivelled up and they do stink! Because of what I experienced (first paragraph) I would guess that there are also dead mice in the walls of my garage. Better there than in my house. In the fall, they seem to migrate towards the garage and other easy-to-enter outbuildings before heading to the warmer house. Since keeping poison in my garage and shop, we have never seen any sign of a mouse in the house.If i use poison pellets for killing mice, do they just end up rotting somewhere in my house?
Yes,ususally in a wall, and the house will reek for weeks....You're better off trapping them.If i use poison pellets for killing mice, do they just end up rotting somewhere in my house?
I was worried about that too but each time I've done it, I find them right in the middle of the floor. I appreciate that they dramatically die right out in the open.
yes
well, yeah, they die, they dont dissappear into thin air.





they rot first. THEN they dry out and in a couple of months you find a dry pack of fur and bones. it is nonsence that the chemical turns them into mommies somehow. if the poison draws fluids from their system it means that there is still a lot of fluid left. only the mouse feels thirsty. like if you get seriously dehydrated, you are still moist inside, not a mommy :) dont assume that the mouse first dries out flat and then, as a result of this, dies :)





or even worse - as they are sick or dying or dead they can be eaten by a dog/cat which may get seriously sick
The chemicals actually dessicate the mouse. No smell.
Even you were to leave saucers of cola as traps - mice or rats can't burp, and so they tend to die of gas distension after consuming the 'real thing' - you'd still have to pick up their remains. Those bones don't really evaporate slain-vampire style, you know.
Yes they do! But don't worry about it. The poison dehydrates the bodies and basically what you end up with is dried out mummified rodents that don't smell. Sometimes you will find the carcasses near a water source but mostly you will never find them as they are usually in the walls.
They decompose where they fall, whether in your house or outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment